The coronavirus pandemic made the summer transfer market unlike any before it, but there were still plenty of deals done, and you can check out the major ones here. The window might be closed across the top leagues in Europe, but here are the best rumours from around the globe.
TOP STORY: Atleti tried to get Griezmann back
Antoine Griezmann has not had the greatest time of his career at Barcelona and, according to information from Sique Rodriguez published by Carrusel Deportivo, Atletico Madrid made an effort during the most recent transfer window to put that to an end.
A deal was not reached, however, with Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu reportedly deeming the 29-year-old to be irreplaceable.
Atleti boss Diego Simeone, who finally got his first La Liga win over the Blaugrana on Saturday, does have a good relationship with Griezmann, though, and talks to lure the striker back to Madrid could resume in January.
13.48 GMT: What’s this? Dayot Upamecano has liked an Instagram post which talked about him moving to Manchester United — according to the Manchester Evening News. The RB Leipzig defender is going to be a man in demand, with a release clause of £36m becoming active next summer.
13.09 GMT: Sport reckons that Ansu Fati‘s agent could put pressure on Barcelona for a more lucrative contract. Ansu has had a brilliant 2020, and he finished second to Borussia Dortmund‘s Erling Haaland in the Golden Boy poll. That means Jorge Mendes may feel his client deserves a hike in his salary.
The story in Sport says that Mendes agreed a €150m deal with Manchester United in the summer, but Barca were not prepared to discuss a deal. He has a €400m release clause in his contract, which has two years left to run plus two further optional ones, so the Camp Nou club are in a position of strength.
But with the coronavirus crisis causing Barca huge financial problems, talk of a pay rise at this point may be difficult.
12.30 GMT: Inter Milan are in Transfer Talk all the time at the moment, and today is no different. Genoa central midfielder Nicolo Rovella is at the top of their wanted list, and Corriere dello Sport reports that they could also line up a January move for Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum. Rodrigo De Paul of Udinese is also on their radar but they would not be able to afford him in the winter window.
Wijnaldum will be a free agent at the end of the season and will be a man in demand, if he doesn’t sign a new contract at Anfield.
11.40 GMT: The Sunday Mirror is predicting a transfer battle for Isak Bergmann Johannesson, the 17-year-old Norrkoping starlet. Big things are expected of Johannesson, who made his Iceland debut from the bench against England at Wembley on Wednesday.
With the UK leaving the EU on Jan. 1, English clubs will no longer be allowed to sign players under the age of 18 — so United will have to wait until next summer which could give Juve a further edge.
11.01 GMT: Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici has no doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo will complete his contract with the Turin giants. Reports intensified last week that Juve were looking to sell Ronaldo next summer in order to balance their books. Marca claims that Ronaldo has opened the door for a possible return to Real Madrid.
Asked if Cristiano Ronaldo will remain at Juve beyond this season, Paratici said on Saturday: “His future is with us, I can assure you. There are transfer rumours every day and players that are linked with different clubs but we don’t pay much attention to that.”
Ronaldo’s contract expires in June 2022 but, according to reports, Juve are eager to recoup part of the €100m they paid Real Madrid and, crucially, get his huge wages off their books. Ronaldo, 35, earns a reported €31m-a-season.
10.14 GMT: The Star on Sunday reckons that Sergio Romero is on the verge of getting out of Manchester United. The goalkeeper has been in limbo after being left out of the club’s Premier League and Champions League squads, but is set to find a new club in January.
The report states that United refused to budge on their £5m valuation in the summer window, but are now prepared to accept £2.5m.
09.30 GMT: The Sunday Mirror says that Manchester City plan to give Raheem Sterling a new contract, just days after securing the long-term future of coach Pep Guardiola.
According to the report, Sterling has expressed a desire to play abroad but City want to make sure the best years of the forward are at the Etihad. His current deal runs until the summer of 2023, but City will talk to the 25-year-old to tie him down.
They are also set to offer fresh terms to Kevin De Bruyne.
Spurs to sell Sanchez and find replacement
The outlet claims that the North London club could be willing to let defender Davinson Sanchez leave as he has fallen down the pecking order under Jose Mourinho.
If Spurs do sell the 24-year-old, it seems some of that money will be reinvested to help find a replacement centre-back.
Giroud wanted by Beckham’s Miami
Giroud is looking to leave Chelsea due to the lack of game time he has been afforded at Stamford Bridge, especially after the arrival of Timo Werner.
There will be more urgency for the Frenchman to leave and get more minutes under his belt after national team manager Didier Deschamps hinted this week that the striker not playing could impact his hopes of making the Euros squad.
“We will talk to Jerome and his management at a reasonable time and make a fair decision for everyone,” Salihamidzic said, before adding that the contract of the former national player is “not at all at the moment the subject with us.”
– Jorge Jesus has admitted that he would be happy to be reunited with William Carvalho at Benfica, reports La Razon. The Real Betis midfielder has returned to prominence under Manuel Pellegrini — something that does not surprise Jesus, who managed him at Sporting CP. While there is no immediate plan to bring the 28-year-old back to Portugal, the Benfica boss seems very much open to the idea.